Haga Haga Hotel^

The History of Haga Haga Hotel

Haga Haga as a village was started in the early 1920’s when farmers from the hinterland acquired farms here for winter grazing. They would move everything, goats, cattle, sheep etc by ox wagon down to the coast for 3 – 4 months. To cross the beach they would unspan one team of oxen and hook them onto the other team, hence the work Haka Haka which is the Xhosa word to "hook on”, this is how Haga Haga got its name. The hotel started during the depression years as a 5 bedroom boarding house by "Daddy” Hobbs. A couple of years later White Waves Inn was developed. The original Chemaly cottage was bought and this formed the main building, kitchen, lounge, dining room. In the early 1960’s the Brill family, ex-traders from the Transkei, bought both the hotels and combined them to form one complex. On the 1 April 1975 Sandy and Neil Chemaly bought the hotel, arriving here to lighting plants, paraffin fridges and coal stoves.

page-38-175-old-lounge-view.jpg

Old Lounge View

page-38-176-original-haga-haga-hotel.jpg

Original Haga Haga Hotel

page-38-177-story-of-hagahaga.jpg

Story of Haga Haga